You are here: Home page > Terms > Accessibility > BrowseAloud
Make this site talk with BrowseAloud
What is BrowseAloud?
BrowseAloud makes websites accessible to those who require online reading support. This includes those with learning difficulties such as dyslexia, mild visual impairments and those with English as a second language.
It works by reading web pages aloud in a human-sounding voice. The user simply hovers their mouse pointer over the text to hear it read aloud.
What does BrowseAloud look like?
BrowseAloud features and options are accessed from an easy to use, floating toolbar (see above). You can position this toolbar anywhere on your screen or hide from view, as you prefer.
What will BrowseAloud do for me?
- Reads web pages aloud in a human-sounding voice (Includes websites, intranets, extranets, html, accessible Flash, alt tags)
- Reads secure web pages
- Reads PDF and Word documents in their original format
- Highlights each word as it is spoken to show you where you are on the page
- Magnifies text to your chosen font size and font style
- Translates word-for-word between English, French, German, Italian and Spanish
- Looks up accurate dictionary definitions
- Converts text to MP3
- Masks information on the screen to help you focus on a particular area
How do I download BrowseAloud?
Other Accessibility concerns?
For further accessibility considerations please refer to the Churchill accessibility page.