You are here: Homepage > Home insurance > Optional extra > Accidental Damage cover
Accidental Damage cover
For an extra premium you can add different optional extras to your home insurance policy such as Accidental Damage cover.
What is Accidental Damage cover?
Accidental Damage cover is not included in our policy as standard. If you want protection against accidents - like drilling through a water pipe, spilling wine on the carpet, or toppling your TV over - you'd need to add Accidental Damage cover.
How does it work?
There are two types of Accidental Damage cover: Accidental Damage for buildings, and Accidental Damage for contents. You can add them both, or just one.
Accidental Damage cover for buildings
These are examples of things that it covers:
- Digging through a cable in the garden
- Hammering through the floorboards, into a water or gas pipe
- Putting your foot through the floor when you’re up in the loft
It doesn’t take long to get a quote for Accidental Damage cover for buildings.
Accidental Damage cover for contents
This protects you against everyday accidents like:
- Coffee over the home computer
- Spilling wine on the carpet, or paint on a sofa
- Your toddler tipping the TV over
You can quickly get a quote for Accidental Damage cover for contents.
What is not covered?
Accidental Damage cover doesn't insure things for wear and tear. So if the fabric of your much-loved sofa eventually gave way and ripped, you couldn't claim for that.
There are other exclusions too – a full list can be found in our policy books. Here are some of them:
- 'Mechanical failure' , like a DVD player that stops working for no clear reason
- Bad workmanship (the electrician makes a mistake wiring up a new socket)
- Damage caused by your pets
- If you damage something while you're cleaning or repairing it
- Damage caused by lodgers, or paying guests
- Accidental damage to things you've taken outside your home, like mobile phones and jewellery. (Though you can protect these items when you're out and about with Personal Possessions cover.)
How can I find out more?
We want to make sure you’ve got all the right cover. You’ll find more details about these add-ons in our policy books.
If you think this cover might be useful, it doesn't take long to get a quote including get a quote for Accidental Damage cover. Or you can call us, on 0800 032 7199.
You can also add other optional extras such as Personal Possessions cover, which will cover your belongings for loss, damage or theft anywhere in the British Isles, Family Legal Protection, which can cover legal costs of up to £50,000 and Home Emergency cover, which provides emergency assistance, including call-out, labour and parts up to a total of £500.