You are here: Homepage > Home insurance > Optional extra > Personal Possessions cover
Personal Possessions cover
For an extra premium you can add different optional extras to your home insurance policy such as Personal Possessions cover.
What is Personal Possessions cover?
Items you take outside your home aren't covered by contents insurance. That's for things you keep indoors, like your TV, sofa, DVD player or home computer. If you want to insure everyday items you take outside like mobile phones, watches, jewellery or laptops you'd need to add Personal Possessions cover.
How does it work?
How much do I need?
You get cover worth up to £2,500 as standard. But you can pay a bit more to increase the value if you need to.
Consider which of your family’s personal possessions are taken out and about at any one time and how much they are worth.
These are the kinds of things you can include:
- Mobile phones
- Glasses and sunglasses
- MP3 players
- Handheld video games
- Credit cards, wallets and purses
You'd need to individually list anything worth over £1,500 on the insurance.
Your things would be protected anywhere in the British Isles, and for up to 60 days in any period of cover abroad, so you'd be insured if you went on holiday. Our standard product also includes up to £300 worth of cover for cash, and up to £600 worth of cover for credit and debit cards.
What is not covered?
This doesn't insure you for wear and tear. There are other exclusions too – a full list can be found in our policy books. Here are some of them:
- Theft from a vehicle, unless the item was hidden, and the thief had to break in to find it. (So a Sat-Nav left on you dashboard wouldn't be covered. But a handbag locked in the boot would be.)
- Business equipment like tools, company cash or corporate credit cards
- Pets and other animals. (There is a pet insurance policy you could take out.)
- Bikes. (Cover for pedal cycles is available but you would need to call us on 0800 032 7199.)
- Camping equipment
- Wear and tear or damage to sports equipment
- Contact lenses and hearing aids
- Certificates and documents (e.g. losing your passport)
How can I find out more?
If you think this cover might be useful, it doesn't take long to get a quote for Personal Possessions cover. Or you can call us, on 0800 032 7199.
You can also add other optional extras such as Accidental Damage cover, which provides protection to your buildings and contents against accidents - like drilling through a water or spilling wine on the carpet, Family Legal Protection, which can cover legal costs of up to £50,000 and Home Emergency cover, which provides emergency assistance, including call-out, labour and parts up to a total of £500.