You are here: Homepage > Van insurance > How to claim
Van insurance claims
Being involved in an accident can be very traumatic. By being prepared, knowing what to do at the time and having a quick and easy claims process, you'll feel more in control and confident about how the process works.
Our 24 hour claim line phone number is: 0845 603 3599
It's always useful to have these things in your van in case of an accident:
- Pen and paper
- First aid kit
At the scene
If you find yourself in an accident:
- Stop! You must stop after an accident by law
- You should check to see if anyone is hurt and if needed call an ambulance
- If there has been an injury, you need to tell the Police and get an incident number
- You should not move the vehicles before an independent witness (if one is available) has noted their positions. However in certain situations where this is impractical check whether the scene of the accident could be dangerous to others
- Even if you feel you are at fault do not admit liability at the scene as we will take care of this for you
You need to exchange details with those involved including:
- Name, address and phone number
- Vehicle make and model
- Registration number
- Insurance company
- Policy number
- Write down details of the accident and draw a sketch map of what happened. If you have a camera, take photos
- Take a note of the names, addresses and registration numbers of any witnesses
- If your van cannot be driven, we will usually arrange for it to be taken to the nearest suitable repairer with our 24 hour accident recovery service
Making a claim
- After an accident, you need to tell us as soon as possible, we have a 24 hour claim line to make it easy to contact us. The number is 0845 603 3599.
- We will then talk you through what happens next and take the details of your claim over the telephone.
- We will tell you where your nearest recommended repairer is and organise for them to contact you.
- Our recommended repairer will also arrange a courtesy car whilst your car is being repaired.
- Alternatively, you can have your van repaired at another garage but you must make sure we approve an estimate before having repairs carried out. Please do not take your car in for repairs before we have approved the estimate.
- Please don't forget you will be required to pay any agreed excess as shown on your Schedule.
As the claim proceeds you should follow our recommendations to make the claims procedure as quick and simple as possible. Keep all receipts and copies of any letters linked to your claim.