Landlord insurance

Add a little 'Chill' and get 15% off your Landlord Insurance with Churchill

Excluding Legal expenses cover and Terrorism cover. Minimum premium applies. Applies to new and existing customers

  • Landlord Insurance
  • icon-question-01
    What is Landlord Insurance?
  • icon-tv-01
    Optional extras
  • icon-bell-01
    Important information

Reasons to rely on Churchill for landlord insurance

  • Select from Buildings, Contents or Buildings and Contents Cover.
  • £2m Public Liability Cover as standard, with the option to increase to £5m or £10m.
  • Landlord Boiler Cover (excludes boiler servicing), with Buildings Cover.
  • Floor coverings of £5,000.
  • Unlimited glass and sanitary cover.
  • Our specialist claims handlers will guide you through the process of making a claim to help you protect your investment.
  • Access to our 24 hours legal advice line.

What is Landlord Insurance?

Are you a landlord or buy‐to‐let owner? Home insurance is not designed for rental properties, so it’s important to get the specialist cover you need as a landlord to protect against costly claims. Every day our dedicated expert claims handlers help landlords get back on track with their properties, so their investments continue to work hard for them.

Types of Landlord Insurance

Residential Landlord Insurance

Residential Landlord Insurance is for landlords renting out a home to residential tenants. This will cover the buildings and contents which can be insured together or seperately, and the cost of rehousing tenants in the event of damage to the property.

Commercial Landlord Insurance

Commercial Landlord Insurance is for landlords letting out a property to a third party business, for example an industrial unit or shop. Commercial properties are often built differently to residential properties and face a different set of risks that a residential landlord policy will not cover, including heating systems. Buildings cover is compulsory for commercial premises.

Multi-Property Landlord Insurance

Select Multi-Property Landlord Insurance if you’re a landlord for multiple properties, or have a mixed portfolio of residential and commercial properties. Online, you can insure up to 10 properties on a single policy. If you need to insure more, just give us a ring. A multi-property policy requires the buildings to be insured and cover £5,000 of carpets as standard under the contents section.

Do I need Landlord Insurance?

If you are a landlord or thinking about becoming a landlord then it's essential to have the right level of insurance in place.

Whether you're a commercial or residential landlord, have recently become a landlord, or you are thinking about making an investment by renting a property; specialist landlord insurance is your number one requirement to keep your investment safe.

Our flexible cover can be tailored to your particular needs.

What does our Insurance cover?

Buildings Insurance

Our Buildings Insurance covers the 'bricks and mortar' of your property, including accidental damage and subsidence, where selected. You can insure up to £15m of landlord building insurance to ensure you have a policy that suits your needs.

  • Cover also extends to fixtures and fittings to outdoor areas such as swimming pools, tennis courts, walls, gates, fences, patios, terraces, drives, yards, car parks and ports, roads, pavements and the underground pipes and cables the policy holder is responsible for.
  • Your Buildings Insurance policy will cover you from damage to your building caused by fire and adverse weather, or flooding, as well as malicious damage or the damage caused by burst pipes.
  • There are additional benefits to your Buildings Insurance cover, from the cost of repair to a garden accessed by emergency services, through to the professional removal of a bee's nest. These benefits offer you peace of mind when you're faced with some of the more infrequent scenarios that could affect your property.

Contents Insurance

If you're a residential landlord with a furnished or part-furnished property, then you may want to get contents insurance to guard against the cost of repair or replacement of furnishings and furniture that have sustained accidental damage. Landlord’s contents insurance can cover you for up to £1.5m of damage to furniture, fixtures and fittings that don’t form a permanent part of your property’s structure.

  • Standard extensions such as replacement of locks, debris removal costs, loss of oil and metered water costs, and the cost of alternative accommodation for tenants in the event that a property becomes uninhabitable, are included in the cover.
  • In addition we insure floor coverings such as carpets and lino as a seperate item up to £5,000 with the option to increase the limit.
Back to top

Take a look at our optional extras

Loss of Rent Cover

If your property is empty because it has been made uninhabitable due to an insured incident, then we cover loss of rent of up to £2.5m and cover alternative accommodation costs.


Increase Public Liability Cover up to £5m or £10m

In the event that a tenant or a visitor is injured while on your property the right level of cover will help you guard against a costly claim. Public and Property Owner's Liability cover up to £10m.

Accidental Damage

Protection against any accidental damage to your property or contents due to unexpected and non-deliberate outside forces.

Subsidence Cover

This will cover against damage to the building as a result of foundations moving. Including subsidence, landslip or ground heave.

Multi-Property Liability Cover

If you're a landlord for multiple properties, you can insure up to 10 properties on one policy online. If you need to insure more, just give us a ring.

Legal Expenses Cover

If you need to go to court over a tenancy dispute, we can provide Legal Expenses Cover of up to £250,000.

Employers' Liability Cover

If you employ staff then it's a legal requirement to take out the right level of Employer's Liability Cover. We offer cover of up to £10m.

Terrorism Cover

Though fairly rare, damage to a property as a result of terrorist acts can result in high costs unless you have the right level of cover in place.

Back to top

Important information

Download landlord insurance policy documents

Remember, if you already have landlord cover with us, the wording of your policy may differ from the one you'll find here.

Things you need to know

  • To get a quote, you need to have the following to hand - the year you become a landlord, the year the property was built and the date of purchase.
  • Quotes are valid for 45 days. To view a saved quote or log into your account, please click "retrieve a quote".
  • If you employ staff then it's a legal requirement to take out the right level of employers' liability cover. You can find more guidance and support on the Government website under Employers' Liability Insurance. If you have any employees or are a limited company, you will get employers liability cover included as standard in your landlord policy.
  • There's a £200 excess as standard, which can be altered. This may impact your premium and the amount you will need to pay in the event of a claim.
  • If you're taking out buildings insurance you'll need to know the buildings sum insured rebuild cost - this should take in to account the cost of materials, debris, removal, architects and surveyor fees and inflation during the rebuild period.

    If you're unsure of the cost of rebuilding the property, check a recent surveyor's report or use the ABI BCIS Rebuild Cost Calculator.

Our pick of helpful landlord insurance questions

Property Owners Liability, also known as Public Liability, will protect you if you are found legally liable for accidental injury to third parties, or damage to their possessions at your rental property.

An example of when this may be required is if someone trips on a loose carpet on the staircase and is seriously injured.

With Churchill, £2m Public Liability cover is provided as standard and, depending on the property you are insuring, you may need to select a larger amount of cover and this may be stipulated by your contract with your customer.

Home insurance is not designed for rental properties, so it’s important to get the specialist cover you need as a landlord to protect against costly claims.

With Churchill, you can cover all your properties under one policy. You can insure up to 10 properties online under the same policy or up to 25 properties if you call us on 0345 878 8194 .

As a first step, we recommend first trying to resolve directly with the tenant, and if this doesn’t work, put the complaint in writing to the Tenant advising of possible legal action. Ultimately, if still not resolved, you have the option to evict the tenant under Section 8 or Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988.

Visit Churchill help pages

Got a question?

Find an answer to what you’re looking for online.
Find out more

Read our articles and guides

Contact us

Would you rather speak to someone?

Call our agents for a quote, on

0345 878 8194

Contact us

Opening hours

  • Mon - Fri 9am - 6pm
Back to top

Other business insurances you may need


Public Liability Insurance

Our Public Liability Insurance covers tradespeople and other self-employed professionals against compensation claims from members of the public.

Find out more

Van Insurance

Ensure your van is covered so you can go about your work with peace of mind. Tools in Transit is offered as an optional extra.

Find out more