Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Last updated: 27th March 2020

Following the Government’s announcement asking everyone to stay at home, we’re making some changes to the way we work to make sure we’re looking after our people and our customers. We’re setting up as many of our colleagues as possible to work from home, but this will take a few days.

In the short-term, we’re only accepting new business online. That means new customers can’t buy insurance over the phone.

Existing customers: Please don’t phone unless it’s absolutely necessary.

We need to prioritise:

  • Customers who have an urgent claim, for example your car is undrivable following an accident, you are injured, or your home is uninhabitable.
  • Customers who can’t pay now as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, call us - we want to help you.

If you have questions about your renewal or want to make a change to your policy, you can use our virtual assistant. If your policy is due to renew in the next week and you haven’t opted for auto-renewal, please call us. If you have opted for auto-renewal, please make sure your insurance still meets your needs.

For more information and frequently asked questions about COVID-19, go to our Coronavirus help and support page.

Landlords contents insurance for furnished or part-furnished properties

Who needs contents insurance?

If you are a residential landlord with a furnished or part‐furnished property, then you may want to get contents insurance to guard against the cost of repair or replacement of furnishings and furniture that have sustained accidental damage. Landlord’s contents insurance can cover you for up to £500,000 of damage to furniture, and fixtures and fittings that don’t form a permanent part of your property’s structure.

What is covered

Standard extensions such as replacement of locks, debris removal costs, loss of oil and metered water costs, and the cost of alternative accommodation for tenants in the event that a property becomes uninhabitable, are included in the cover. In addition we insure floor coverings such as carpets and lino as a separate item up to £5000 with the option to increase the limit.