Insurance for cyclists

Protect yourself from claims made against you, if you cause damage while out on your bike.

Arranged by Gator Bikesure Limited. Underwritten by Red Sands Insurance Company (Europe) Limited.

Churchie walking along, looking inquisitively towards the viewer.

Why do cyclists need third party insurance?

If you cause injury or damage someone's property while riding your bike, you could face legal action. Cyclist Cover gives you public liability protection, so you won't be left out of pocket after an accident.

The most common claims against cyclists are:

  • Damage to cars
  • Injury to pedestrians
  • Damage to property such as houses
  • Injury to other cyclists

Please note, your cover is invalid if injury is caused while cycling in a peloton or other high-risk close-knit formation.

Add personal injury cover for £9.60 a year

Get help towards your medical expenses after a cycling accident. We can help with dental care, physiotherapy or optical care.

Plus, we'll pay a cash sum to your loved ones if you die as the result of a cycling accident.

What's covered?

Cyclist Cover includes the following as standard:

  • Up to £2,000,000 public liability cover for injury or damage caused by you.

Optional personal injury cover:

  • £20,000 cash sum if you die while out cycling.
  • £20,000 for permanent disability or injury, including loss of sight or loss of a limb.
  • £1,000 towards private (non-NHS) emergency medical care, dental care, optical care or physiotherapy.

Optional Bike Cover

Insure your bike too, by adding Bicycle Cover to your cyclist insurance policy. You'll get cover for:

  • Theft or accidental damage of your bike
  • Theft or damage to your cycling gear
  • Travel cover for cycling abroad
  • Racing and Events cover
Find out more about Bicycle Cover

Contact us

Would you rather speak to someone?

Call our agents for a quote on

0330 390 6996

Contact us

Opening hours

  • Mon - Fri 8am - 6pm
  • Saturdays Closed
  • Sundays Closed
  • Bank holidays Closed

Our web chat team are here to answer your questions.

Chat now

Frequently asked questions

Not at all. You might have bike insurance with another insurer and that’s fine, you can still buy Churchill Cyclist Cover to cover public liability and personal accident or emergency medical treatments for injuries sustained in a cycling accident.

Your bike is only one part of a crash. Replacing or repairing the damage to your bike (even an expensive one) may not be the costliest part of an incident. If you are injured while you’re out on your bike, you may end up with medical bills for treatment, dental work, optical care or physiotherapy. You may even have legal bills to take care of if you’re found legally liable for causing an accident. Having Cyclist Cover will help cover these costs.

Yes. By getting Cyclist Cover, you'll be covered for personal injury worldwide, and for public liability worldwide (except USA and Canada). Your bike will be covered for theft or damage while you’re away, if you have bought a bike insurance policy and added Travel Cover.

To be eligible for Churchill Cycling Insurance, you must be over 18 years of age and permanently live in the UK. Insurance cover isn’t provided for:

  • Professional cyclists or sponsored riders – cyclists who ride bicycles as their primary occupation or source of income or receive a discount of greater than 50% of the recommended retail price of a bicycle.
  • Couriers and delivery drivers – anyone who uses their bicycle to carry out their work or hires out their bicycle for others to use. Please note, this does not include commuting to your place of work.