Make sure you can head off on holiday without a worry by taking care of security arrangements for your home.
Our top 12 tips will help you avoid the anxiety of knowing your home is sitting empty for a couple of weeks while you are relaxing on your holiday.
- Lock up – lock all windows and doors, not forgetting any garages, shed or other outbuildings
- Set the security alarm if you have one – if it’s a monitored alarm don’t forget to give your monitoring station the details of the key holder
- Cancel deliveries of milk, newspapers or vegetable boxes – make sure you do this discreetly or over the phone – don’t tell the whole shop you’re going away
- Put valuables out of sight – make sure you move your laptop, car keys out of the way of prying eyes
- Make your home look occupied – if you can, get a neighbour to come in and pull the curtains. Invest in some timer switches to turn lights and a radio on and off
- Avoid a tell-tale build-up of post inside your front door by getting a neighbour to move it or asking Royal Mail to hold on to your letters until you return, using its Keepsafe service opens in a new window
- If you have a drive, then ask a neighbour to park there occasionally – it will make it look as though people are coming and going
- Enlist the help of neighbourhood watch – ask members to keep an eye on your property
- Mow your lawn before you go – make sure it doesn’t look overgrown
- Put away tools or ladders – they could be used to force entry to your home
- Use a home safe for important personal documents and your most valuable items such as jewellery
- Security mark your property so if it is taken it can be identified.