Home insurance glossary

Accidental damage cover for buildings
Optional cover to protect against sudden and unintentional physical damage to the permanent structure of your home.
Accidental damage cover for contents
Optional cover for protection against accidental damage to your home contents, for example, dropping a television while fixing it to a wall.
Representative APR
Representative Annual Percentage Rate: the amount owed including interest and fees over the period of a year.
A room built or converted for sleeping in, even if it is used for other purposes.
British Isles
England, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
Building sum insured
The amount it would cost to demolish, clear and rebuild your home following an insured event.
Your home and its patios, terraces, tennis courts, swimming pools, walls, fences, hedges, gates, drives, footpaths, landlord’s fixtures and fittings, service tanks, drains, septic tanks, pipes, cables and central-heating oil tanks.
Buildings insurance
Insurance for a building, its fixtures, fittings and outbuildings against costs incurred as a result of an insured event. Insured events include fire, theft, storm or flood, subsidence, vandalism or escape of water. Buildings insurance is usually compulsory with a mortgage.
Your employment, business, trade or profession.
Business equipment
Computers, keyboards, visual display units and printers, word-processing equipment, desktop publishing units, multi-user small business computers, fax machines, photocopiers, typewriters, computer-aided design equipment and telecommunication equipment.
Household goods, furniture, furnishings, personal belongings, TV and audio, electrical goods, appliances, jewellery, valuables, freezer contents, money kept in the home, satellite dishes, aerials, business equipment, and other articles kept in the home or outbuildings.
Contents insurance
Insurance against theft or damage to the contents of your home, garden or outbuildings as a result of an insured event such as fire, theft, storm, flood, subsidence, vandalism or escape of water.
Contents sum insured
The maximum that the policy will pay out if your entire home contents are destroyed.
Escape of water
Damage caused by water that has escaped from a fixed installation such as a bath, shower or radiator.
The amount the policyholder must pay towards any claim.
Family legal protection
Cover for you and your family who live with you for everyday legal disputes.
Mortice lock
The most commonly used lock for front and back doors. It offers a good level of security in a choice of two, three or five levers. A British Standard five lever mortice lock is recommended for all external doors.
The insured property shown in the home insurance schedule and its garages and outbuildings, as long as they are not used for business.
Home emergency cover
24-hour assistance for central heating, electrical emergencies, plumbing or draining issues.
Home entertainment equipment
All computer equipment (including games and laptops), television sets, DVD and video players and recorders, games consoles and audio equipment in your home (including aerials and satellite dishes fixed to your home).
Insurance Premium Tax.
Inventory (of home contents)
A record of your home contents, by room, for insurance purposes including item details, purchase costs, current value, photos and receipts.
Mechanical failure
When an appliance stops working for no clear reason.
Cash, cheques, money orders, postal orders, current postage stamps which are not part of a collection, National Insurance stamps, saving stamps or certificates, Premium Bonds, Traveller’s Cheques, travel tickets, luncheon vouchers, gift tokens and phonecards which belong to you and are not used for business.
No claim discount
The discount that may be offered to the policy holder should there be no claims on their policy.
A person you are living with as if you are married.
Period of cover
The period you are insured for that is shown in the home insurance schedule.
Personal liability insurance
Covers the policyholder from civil lawsuits.
Personal possessions
Mobile phones, glasses, sunglasses, laptops, tablets, e-readers, video games, wallets, purses, clothes, cameras, jewellery, watches, luggage, clothing, sports equipment, bicycles and any other items you normally wear, use or carry during daily life, which belong to you or that you are legally responsible for.
Property owners’ liability cover
Covers the property owner from lawsuits as a result of accidents while on their property.
Rebuild cost
The cost to rebuild your home if it’s destroyed or damaged by an insured event such as flood or fire. This includes the cost to clear the site and legal fees. If you have a mortgage, the rebuild cost will be stated in your lender’s valuation report. The most accurate way of finding out a rebuild cost is to hire a surveyor. The rebuild cost is not the same as the market price.
Sanitary fittings
Washbasins and pedestals, bathroom and kitchen sinks, bidets, lavatory pans and cisterns, shower trays, shower screens, baths and bath panels. Swimming pools are not included.
The document which identifies the policyholder and sets out details of the cover your policy provides.
Downward movement of unstable soil beneath a building.
Trace and access
The tracing of leaks in the home, access and repair.
The company providing the insurance cover under this policy.
When your home is not normally and regularly lived in by you during the day and overnight.
Jewellery, watches, furs, items or sets or collections of gold, silver or other precious metal, works of art, sets of stamps, coins and medals all belonging to you or any member of your family.
We, us, our, the company
U K Insurance Limited.
You, your
The person named as the policyholder in the schedule, their partner and members of their family (including foster children) who normally live with them.