With most insurance companies claiming to offer cheaper home insurance, it’s difficult to know where the real savings are.
Here are our top tips for finding the best deal...
- Buying buildings and contents insurance together with the same insurer can sometimes work out cheaper than buying seperate policies for each type of cover.
- Make sure you know the true cost of replacing your home contents as new, to ensure you have sufficient cover.
- Lowering your risk of getting burgled can lower your insurer's risk of having to pay out for a claim. So, your insurance might cost less if you have a professionally installed and approved burglar alarm, or specific locks fitted to your doors and windows.
- Consider a higher voluntary excess. In some circumstances, you may be able to lower the price of your insurance by increasing the amount you would pay towards a claim. Just make sure you can afford the excess in the event of a claim.
- Paying upfront instead of monthly installments could also save you money. It might not be a huge amount, but everything adds up.
- Lots of insurance companies offer optional extras - such as Accidental Damage cover and Personal Possessions cover - which can add up if you include them in your policy. However, although these extras are often really good to have, they're not essential.