With most insurance companies claiming to offer cheaper home insurance, it’s difficult to know where the real savings are.
Here are our top tips for finding the best deal...
- Buying buildings and contents insurance together usually qualifies for a discount.
- See if your car insurance company will offer you a discount if you take out their home insurance.
- Make sure you know the true cost of replacing your home contents as new, to ensure you have sufficient cover.
- Most home insurance companies will give you a significant discount if you have a professionally installed and approved burglar alarm or specific locks fitted to your doors and windows. Lowering your risk of getting burgled, lowers your insurers risk of having to pay out for a claim.
- Consider a higher voluntary excess. In some circumstances, by increasing the amount you would pay towards a claim you may be able to reduce your premium. But make sure you can afford the excess in the event of a claim.
- Pay upfront instead of in installments could save you money. It might not be loads, but everything adds up!
- Lots of insurance companies offer optional extras - things such as Accidental Damage cover and Personal Possessions cover. These extras are often really good to have, but they're not essential. And adding them onto your policy may add money.