31st October 2011
Bonfire Night is great fun for the family, but Churchill Pet Insurance is reminding pet owners to take care that their pets are kept safe and sound and away from the noise of the fireworks this weekend.
Pete Bishenden, spokesperson for Churchill Pet Insurance, says: "Loud noises and bright lights can frighten animals and cause them to panic, become disorientated and even run away from home, which potentially puts them in danger should they bolt into a busy road. Keep your pet away from any danger and settle them in an area of the home where they feel safe and secure to decrease the risk of any anxiety when the fireworks get going."
Tops tips for keeping your pet safe this Bonfire Night:
- Always keep your pets indoors when fireworks are being set off and never take your dog to a firework display
- Close all windows and doors. Draw curtains and turn on the radio or TV to block out some of the noise from the fireworks
- Make sure you walk your dog earlier in the day before the fireworks start. If you must be outside with your pet, keep it on a leash at all times
- Always make sure your pet is wearing its ID tag or is micro chipped just in case it runs away
- Provide a safe place/ comfortable den for your pet if they become fearful or stressed
- Pick up all firework debris after they have cooled down and dispose of them safely as they can harm animals
- Act calmly around your pet - don't shout at them if they appear frightened, or you may increase their stress levels
- Take out pet insurance so that you're covered just in case your pet suffers an injury or hearing problems as a result of the fireworks
For media enquiries, please contact:
PR Manager, Churchill
0208 313 5741
Founded in 1989, Churchill is now one of the UK’s leading providers of general insurance, offering car, home, travel and pet insurance cover over the phone or on-line.
Churchill general insurance policies are underwritten by U K Insurance Limited, Registered office: The Wharf, Neville Street, Leeds LS1 4AZ. Registered in England and Wales No 1179980. U K Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Churchill and U K Insurance Limited are both part of Direct Line Insurance Group plc.
Customers can find out more about Churchill products or get a quote by calling 0300 200300 or visiting www.churchill.com