- Based on the findings of a Freedom of Information Act request, researchers estimate 10,000 garden annexe applications are made to local councils across the UK every year – the equivalent of one every 53 minutes
- 82 per cent of applications for new or converted garden annexes are successful
- There has been a 27 per cent increase in the value of three and four bed homes with a garden annexe over the past five years
New research from Churchill Home Insurance1 reveals there are an estimated 10,000 applications made to councils across the UK each year to create garden annexes, equating to one every 53 minutes. Of these applications, for both new and converted garden annexes, 82 per cent are successful.
In total over the last financial year, there were an estimated 7,000 applications for new garden annexes, those which have been newly built rather than converted, with 5,700 of these applications successful (81 per cent). There were an estimated 2,800 applications recorded by local councils for converted garden annexes, those produced using an outbuilding or conversion of a shed or building already there, of which 2,400 (84 per cent) were successful.
Between April 2015 and March 2018 there has been a five per cent increase in the number of successful applications for new garden annexes and a seven per cent increase in the number of successful converted garden annexe applications.
Some homeowners are taking advantage of the benefits a garden annexe can offer when trying to sell their homes, with research among estate 2 revealing that three and four bed homes with a garden annexe can command asking prices as much as 27 per cent higher than the average comparable property in the area.
Craig Rixon, head of Churchill home insurance, said: "Developing your own, new or converted garden annexe can be a very exciting process and is becoming ever more popular as people get increasingly savvy about home renovations. Whether you’re building an annexe for an older relative or just for the additional space, it is often a cheaper and easier alternative than moving to a larger property."
"It is important that you inform your insurer of any home renovations you plan to make so that your home and its contents are adequately insured during the course of the renovation and upon completion."
In the last financial year, Torbay council received 466 applications for new garden annexes, the most of any council that responded to Churchill’s FOI request. On the opposite end of the scale, Wigan Metropolitan Council received no applications for new garden annexes in the same time period.
For further information on Churchill Home Insurance please visit
Notes to Editor
- FOI request into applications for garden annexes issued to 392 local councils across the UK on 7th September 2018. 37% of councils responded to the request, with 24.7% providing usable data. Final data was extrapolated based on this sample of 97 local councils to provide an estimate for the whole of the UK’s local councils.
- Churchill Home Insurance analysis of telephone research made to 100 estate agents from across the UK looking at house price statistics for properties with between two and six bedrooms. 27% premium calculated on an average value of 53 three- and four-bedroom properties with a garden annexe compared to the average property price for three- and four-bedroom properties in the area.
For further information, please contact:
Founded in 1989, Churchill is now one of the UK’s leading providers of general insurance, offering car, home, travel and pet insurance cover over the phone or on-line.
Churchill general insurance policies are underwritten by U K Insurance Limited, Registered office: The Wharf, Neville Street, Leeds LS1 4AZ. Registered in England and Wales No 1179980. U K Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Churchill and U K Insurance Limited are both part of Direct Line Insurance Group plc.
Customers can find out more about Churchill products or get a quote by calling 0300 200300 or visiting www.churchill.com