Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Last updated: 27th March 2020

Following the Government’s announcement asking everyone to stay at home, we’re making some changes to the way we work to make sure we’re looking after our people and our customers. We’re setting up as many of our colleagues as possible to work from home, but this will take a few days.

In the short-term, we’re only accepting new business online. That means new customers can’t buy insurance over the phone.

Existing customers: Please don’t phone unless it’s absolutely necessary.

We need to prioritise:

  • Customers who have an urgent claim, for example your car is undrivable following an accident, you are injured, or your home is uninhabitable.
  • Customers who can’t pay now as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, call us - we want to help you.

If you have questions about your renewal or want to make a change to your policy, you can use our virtual assistant. If your policy is due to renew in the next week and you haven’t opted for auto-renewal, please call us. If you have opted for auto-renewal, please make sure your insurance still meets your needs.

For more information and frequently asked questions about COVID-19, go to our Coronavirus help and support page.

Making a travel insurance claim

Our claims process

Tell the police immediately or within 24 hours of the loss or theft of any of your property and send us a copy of the police report to support your claim. Report the theft or loss to your courier, golf course or hotel or apartment manager if appropriate.

Keep all original booking invoices, original receipts, hospital admission and discharge records, and travel documents showing dates and times of travel that will be relevant to your claim.

Give us all the information, evidence, details of household or medical insurance, medical certificates, proof of ownership, receipts or any other documents we need, at your own expense.

If a carrier (airline, railway or shipping company and so on) loses or damages any of your luggage or personal possessions in their care, let them know immediately and get a copy of their report (known as a ‘property irregularity report’).

Keep any items that are damaged and send them to us if we ask, at your own expense.

Any fees you have to pay for getting evidence of your claim will not be covered by this insurance as it is your responsibility to support your claim.

Give us all the information and help we need and keep us up to date with any developments in your claim. If you are sent a writ, summons, claim or letter, do not answer it – instead, send it to us as soon as possible.

If you lose your passport, send us confirmation in writing from the British Consulate where the loss happened, including details about the date of the loss, reporting the loss to the police and replacing the passport, together with a police report in writing. Send us all the original receipts for replacing your passport.

For piste closure claims, send us confirmation in writing from your tour operator, the local piste authority or ski-lift operator confirming the reason for the closure and how long it lasted.

Claims: 0345 603 3591

During the festive season

We're open 8am - 4pm on
Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.

We're closed on Christmas Day,
Boxing Day and New Year's Day.

Otherwise it's business as usual.

  • Mon - Fri 9am – 5pm

Claims for Curtailment (cutting short your trip)

You will need to contact our assistance service to authorise any necessary expenses beforehand.

Assistance service
01252 740 050

Making a medical claim

If you need to make a claim for Medical and other expenses for inpatient medical treatment, please contact our assistance service if possible before visiting any clinic or hospital as they will be able to tell you which is the most appropriate medical facility to treat you. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Please quote reference IGCS 1482.

From the UK, phone: 01252 740 050

From anywhere in the world, phone: + 44 (0) 1252 740 050

For any routine or simple outpatient treatment (as long as it is less than £500), please pay yourself and claim back the relevant expenses when you return to the UK.