Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Last updated: 31st March 2020

Following the Government’s announcement asking everyone to stay at home, we’re making some changes to the way we work to make sure we’re looking after our people and our customers. We’re setting up as many of our colleagues as possible to work from home, but this will take a few days.

In the short-term, we’re only accepting new business online. That means new customers can’t buy insurance over the phone.

Existing customers: Please don’t phone unless it’s absolutely necessary.

We need to prioritise:

  • Customers who have an urgent claim, for example your car is undrivable following an accident, you are injured, or your home is uninhabitable.
  • Customers who can’t pay now as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, call us - we want to help you.

If you have questions about your renewal or want to make a change to your policy, you can use our virtual assistant. If your policy is due to renew in the next week and you haven’t opted for auto-renewal, please call us. If you have opted for auto-renewal, please make sure your insurance still meets your needs.

For more information and frequently asked questions about COVID-19, go to our Coronavirus help and support page.

Home emergency bad weather

If you have Home Emergency cover and want to make a claim, because of the significant weather disruption affecting travel, engineers may not be able to attend your home for 48 hours.  If you would prefer to choose your own local qualified engineer this option is available to you within the limits, terms and conditions set out within your policy document.  You can obtain a reimbursement of these costs by emailing, including your policy reference number in the email and your invoice for the work carried out. Remember to check your policy document to see what you're covered for.

Full details of your home emergency cover are in section 5 of your policy wording, of which a version can be found here

Home Emergency Cover Summary

What is covered

  • Up to £500 for call out, labour and parts in the event of an emergency at your home which, if not dealt with quickly, will:
    • make your home unsafe or insecure;
    • cause loss or damage to your home and its contents; or
    • leave your home with a total loss of heating, lighting or water.
  • Up to £250 for one night’s necessary alternative accommodation if the property becomes uninhabitable overnight as a result of an insured emergency.

Summary of exclusions and limits

We will not pay for the following:

  • Boilers with an output over 70kw.
  • Underfloor heating, solar heating systems or warm air systems.
  • Cover for plumbing, drainage or heating after your home has been unoccupied for more than 60 days in a row.
  • Any loss or damage which occurs during the first 14 days following the start of your Home Emergency cover.
  • Emergency assistance to any home that is in the Isles of Scilly or the Scottish Islands.
  • Any work, including power flushing, due to water scale deposits or sludge caused by corrosion.
  • Any household appliances such as, but not limited to, washing machines or dishwashers.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have emergency plumber cover in my policy?
This comes as standard with our Churchill Home Plus insurance. It can also be added on as an optional extra with our Home Insurance at an additional cost. Emergency plumber cover is part of our Home Emergency add on.
What's an uncontrollable water leak?
An uncontrollable water leak is a leak from your internal plumbing and drainage that you cannot stop and which causes continuous damage to your home.
What's a home emergency?

A home emergency is an incident in the home which, if not dealt with quickly, will do at least one of the following:

  • Make the home unsafe or insecure for its occupants
  • Cause damage to the home and its contents
  • Leave the home without its primary source of heating, lighting or water
Do I have to pay an excess for an emergency plumber?
No, there is no excess for a Home Emergency claim
What's the cover limit for an emergency plumber call-out?
We will pay up to £500 (including VAT) for each emergency assistance call-out to cover the cost of the call-out, labour at the customer's home, and parts to fix the leak.