With most insurance companies claiming to offer cheaper home insurance, it’s difficult to know where the real savings are. Here are our top tips for finding the best deal:
- Buying buildings and contents insurance together usually qualifies for a discount.
- See if your car insurance company will offer you a discount if you take out their home insurance.
- You don’t need to buy your buildings insurance through your mortgage lender – if you shop around you could find cheaper home insurance.
- Make sure you know the true cost of replacing your home contents as new to ensure you have sufficient cover.
- Most home insurance companies will give you a significant discount if you have a professionally installed and approved burglar alarm or specific locks fitted to your doors and windows.
- Consider a higher voluntary excess. In some circumstances, by increasing the amount you would pay towards a claim you may be able to reduce your premium.