Top tips for buying cheaper home insurance
With most insurance companies claiming to offer cheaper home insurance, it’s difficult to know where the real savings are. Here are our top tips for finding the best deal:
- Buying buildings and contents insurance together usually qualifies for a discount.
- See if your car insurance company will offer you a discount if you take out their home insurance.
- You don’t need to buy your buildings insurance through your mortgage lender – if you shop around you could find cheaper home insurance.
- Make sure you know the true cost of replacing your home contents as new to ensure you have sufficient cover.
- Most home insurance companies will give you a significant discount if you have a professionally installed and approved burglar alarm or specific locks fitted to your doors and windows.
- Consider a higher voluntary excess. In some circumstances, by increasing the amount you would pay towards a claim you may be able to reduce your premium.