Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Last updated: 31st March 2020

Following the Government’s announcement asking everyone to stay at home, we’re making some changes to the way we work to make sure we’re looking after our people and our customers. We’re setting up as many of our colleagues as possible to work from home, but this will take a few days.

In the short-term, we’re only accepting new business online. That means new customers can’t buy insurance over the phone.

Existing customers: Please don’t phone unless it’s absolutely necessary.

We need to prioritise:

  • Customers who have an urgent claim, for example your car is undrivable following an accident, you are injured, or your home is uninhabitable.
  • Customers who can’t pay now as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, call us - we want to help you.

If you have questions about your renewal or want to make a change to your policy, you can use our virtual assistant. If your policy is due to renew in the next week and you haven’t opted for auto-renewal, please call us. If you have opted for auto-renewal, please make sure your insurance still meets your needs.

For more information and frequently asked questions about COVID-19, go to our Coronavirus help and support page.

Accidental Damage cover

If the thought of a friend spilling red wine over your new cream carpet sends you into a meltdown it might be a good idea to check out our Accidental Damage cover.

It means you can take a deep breath and know that the problem will be taken care of.

While Churchill buildings insurance and contents insurance covers your home against disasters like fire, flood, vandalism and burglary, Accidental Damage cover goes even further.

Accidents happen, but we have two types of Accidental Damage cover that stop them becoming a problem: Accidental Damage cover for buildings and Accidental Damage cover for contents. For an additional premium you can add either of these or both to your policy.

Accidental Damage cover for buildings
This covers mishaps such as breaking a glass cooker top or hammering through the floorboards into a water or gas pipe.
Accidental Damage for contents
This covers accidents such as spilling paint on the sofa or carpet or breaking a glass coffee table.

Accidental Damage cover doesn’t insure things for wear and tear, so if the fabric of your much-loved sofa eventually gives way and rips, you can’t claim for that.

Other things that aren’t covered include electrical equipment that stops working for no reason, damage caused by pets and accidental damage to things that are taken outside your home. A full list of all the exclusions can be found in our home insurance policy booklet.