There are a few precautions you can take to help protect your home against stormy weather. Just watch our short video, or see the steps shown below.
6 steps to help prepare for storms
- Clean out gutters at least once a year to prevent rainwater overflowing and getting into plasterwork and decorations.
- Check for any damage to chimneys, roof tiles and TV aerials. Good home maintenance reduces the risk of more damage occurring during a storm. Or get a professional in to help. Also check any gates or fences.
- Remove loose or overhanging tree branches from your property to prevent damage in a storm. You may need to speak to your Local Authority to see if any trees are protected.
- If a storm is forecast, secure loose objects such as ladders, garden furniture or anything else that could be blown into windows and other objects and break them.
- Close and securely fasten doors and windows and make sure you secure any large doors such as those on garages.
- If you have a car, park it in a garage, or if you don’t have a garage, just make sure you keep them clear of buildings, trees, walls and fences.