How much home insurance cover do I need?

Churchill Home Insurance comes in different shapes and sizes depending on your needs. But how do you know which is the best level of cover for you?

The first decision you need to make is whether to get just buildings insurance, or buildings and contents. Buildings insurance will cover your home against things like fire, floods and subsidence. Your home is the walls, roofs, drives and patios, as well as permanent fixtures such as kitchen units, bathroom fittings and fitted wardrobes. Outbuildings such as sheds and garages are also covered.

If you want to protect your home against DIY accidents, however, you’ll need to take out the option of additional accidental damage cover.

Contents insurance, on the other hand, covers the things in your house, such as all your household goods, including non-permanent fixtures and fittings like carpets and curtains, and your personal belongings. Contents insurance covers loss or damage from things like fire, but also covers you against theft and vandalism.

Again, for DIY disasters, such as broken vases and ornaments, you’ll need additional accidental damage cover.

To protect personal possessions that you take out of the house, you will need to invest in additional personal possessions cover. This will insure you against damage loss or theft anywhere in the UK or for up to 60 days if you take items abroad. Personal possessions cover will also protect any lost or stolen money or credit cards.

And if you have a bicycle, you may need additional bicycle insurance.

The level of Churchill home insurance you decide on is up to you. For a quote, check online now at