Churchill magazine

Home insurance basics

Updated on: 24 September 2020

A living room with a grey sofa and coffee table.

Home Insurance comes in different shapes and sizes depending on your needs. But how do you know which is the best level of cover for you?

The first decision you need to make is whether you need buildings insurance, contents insurance or both.

Buildings insurance

Cover your home against things like fire, floods and subsidence. Your home is the walls, roofs, drives and patios, as well as permanent fixtures such as kitchen units, bathroom fittings and fitted wardrobes. Outbuildings such as sheds and garages are also covered.

If you want to protect your home against DIY accidents, however, you’ll want to consider the option of additional accidental damage cover.

If you live in leasehold property, it’s likely you already pay for buildings insurance as part of a service charge.

Contents insurance

Covers the things in your house, such as all your household goods, including non-permanent fixtures and fittings like carpets and curtains, and your personal belongings. Contents insurance covers loss or damage from things like fire, but also covers you against theft and vandalism.

You might also wish to add on accidental damage cover for extra peace of mind.

To protect personal possessions that you take out of the house, you might want to pay for personal possessions cover. And if you have a bicycle, you may need additional bicycle insurance to cover the full cost of the bike.

The level of home insurance you decide on is up to you.

Related articles

cheaper home insurance

Top tips for buying cheaper home insurance

How can you save money when buying home insurance?
A clean and crisp white bathroom suite.

Tips to fit a new bathroom

Fitting a new bathroom can be a great way to breathe new life into a tired room, but you'll want to be sure you go about it the right way. As you'll find out, it's a little more complicated than picking out a new three-piece suite.
A rat is seen lurking under some furniture.

Five ways you could invalidate your home insurance cover

You may not know that there are some things that can invalidate your cover. To help make sure this doesn't happen to you, we've put together a list of the most common ways this can happen.