Important information for Churchill customers affected by the Thomas Cook collapse

Thomas Cook has confirmed it has ceased trading. As a result, from 23 September 2019 all holidays and flights have been cancelled and are no longer operating. Further information and advice is available on the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) website at

If you’re already abroad, the CAA is making arrangements for you to return home to the UK on a new flight. These new flights will not cost you anything extra.

CAA Emergency helpline:

+44 1753 330330
+44 300 3032800

Our Churchill travel insurance policies do not cover financial failure of a tour operator or end supplier. You should now check if your Thomas Cook trip is ATOL or ABTA protected. If you purchased your trip using a credit card, you may be protected under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. If you purchased your trip with a debit or charge card, you should contact your bank or card issuer as you may be able to claim under their charge-back rules.