Churchill magazine

Do you need to update your home insurance?

Updated on: 24 September 2020

Man sitting at table using laptop

Changes to your circumstances can affect your Churchill home insurance policy. So if you move, extend your home, change your name or just buy some new things, you’ll need to let us know.

Change of name

Many people change their name when they get married or for another reason. Let us know if this applies to you as we’ll need your new name to keep your policy up to date.

Change of address

  • If you move home, remember to tell us

  • If you own your home, you’ll need to fully review your buildings insurance. And as most people throw out a few old things and buy new ones when they move, it’s very likely you’ll need to look at your contents insurance too

  • Your policy documents will need to refer to your new address. We offer buildings insurance up to £1,000,000, so you’ll need to make sure that your home fits into this bracket

  • We can also arrange buildings cover for your new home, between the exchange and completion dates.

Extensions, conversions and building work

Building work can alter the value of your home, so you’ll need to make sure we can still cover you under our buildings insurance policy up to the value of £1,000,000.

If you have outbuildings, including sheds, or if you have gates or fences, these can be covered by your buildings insurance too, so remember to add any new ones on to your policy.

Change of contents

You might be surprised at how often the contents of your home change. New clothes, household equipment and gifts can quickly add up. We insure contents up to the value of £50,000 as standard, so make sure you keep an up-to-date list of your possessions.

Valuable possessions

Individual items worth more than £2,000 need to be specified separately in your contents insurance policy. So, if you have valuables, such as works of art, you’ll need to let us know about them.

Items with an individual value of less than £2,000 are covered (up to a combined total value of 30% of your contents sum) as standard. This figure can also be increased if needed.

Setting up a business

If you run a straightforward home business involving only routine paperwork, computer work and telephone calls, we can cover your business equipment up to the value of £5,000. Child-minders can also get this cover.

Policies purchased online automatically include business use cover. If you purchase your policy over the telephone, though, you’ll need to request this.

Updating your policy

It’s easy to update your Churchill Home Insurance policy. Contact us to find out how.

Related articles

cheaper home insurance

Top tips for buying cheaper home insurance

How can you save money when buying home insurance?
A clean and crisp white bathroom suite.

Tips to fit a new bathroom

Fitting a new bathroom can be a great way to breathe new life into a tired room, but you'll want to be sure you go about it the right way. As you'll find out, it's a little more complicated than picking out a new three-piece suite.
A living room with a grey sofa and coffee table.

Home insurance basics

Home Insurance comes in different shapes and sizes depending on your needs. But how do you know which is the best level of cover for you?