Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Last updated: 27th March 2020

Following the Government’s announcement asking everyone to stay at home, we’re making some changes to the way we work to make sure we’re looking after our people and our customers. We’re setting up as many of our colleagues as possible to work from home, but this will take a few days.

In the short-term, we’re only accepting new business online. That means new customers can’t buy insurance over the phone.

Existing customers: Please don’t phone unless it’s absolutely necessary.

We need to prioritise:

  • Customers who have an urgent claim, for example your car is undrivable following an accident, you are injured, or your home is uninhabitable.
  • Customers who can’t pay now as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, call us - we want to help you.

If you have questions about your renewal or want to make a change to your policy, you can use our virtual assistant. If your policy is due to renew in the next week and you haven’t opted for auto-renewal, please call us. If you have opted for auto-renewal, please make sure your insurance still meets your needs.

For more information and frequently asked questions about COVID-19, go to our Coronavirus help and support page.

Company cars – is ‘free’ fuel worth it?

The offer of free fuel for your company car seems too good for many drivers to resist. However, nothing comes for free and it’s also classed as a taxable benefit. So how can you work out if it’s worth filling the tank yourself instead?

  • Work out your car’s tax liability as you would for company car tax purposes. We’ll take a figure of 18% as an example.
  • Take this percentage and multiply it by £14,400, a notional figure set by the taxman: £14,400 x 18% = £2592.
  • Multiply this by your rate of income tax (22% or 40%) to calculate your annual tax bill for ‘free’ fuel: £2592 x 22% = £570.
  • Compare this figure with how much it would cost you to fuel your own car for your expected annual mileage. If personal fuel works out more expensive than the tax, ask whether your employer will make an additional salary contribution to compensate for you opting out of the fuel scheme.