Eight cars to buy in a recession
All cars in the UK are required to pass their MOT test each year. According to government guidelines at www.gov.uk/browse/driving/vechicle-tax-mot-insurance your MOT certificate confirms that at the time of the test your vehicle met, as far as can be reasonably determined without dismantling it, the minimum acceptable environmental and road safety standards as required by law. It does not mean that your vehicle will necessarily be roadworthy for the life of the certificate and is not a substitute for regular maintenance.
- Smart Fortwo
- If you can squeeze into it, this two-seater super-mini is one of the most fuel-efficient petrol or diesel cars on the market.
- New Ford Fiesta
- The new Ford Fiesta may look sleek, but it's still a first choice car for many of those with a limited budget. It has very good fuel efficiency and some models are also in the lowest car insurance group as specified by the Association of British Insurers (ABI).
- Toyota Prius
- One of the original hybrids, and still the most fuel-efficient small family car on the market. By employing an electric motor to aid acceleration, it will save you money on fuel and give your green credentials a boost.
- Honda Civic Hybrid
- As the cheapest hybrid in the UK, this is a good alternative to the Prius.
- Kia Picanto
- You will struggle to find many cars cheaper than the Kia Picanto. Some models, classified by the ABI as group one cars, will save you money on your car insurance, and its fuel efficiency is also good.
- Perodua Kelisa
- Possibly the cheapest new car on the market with list prices starting at just £4,700. Fuel and car insurance costs are rock bottom. A real budget option – although it may depreciate quickly.
- Skoda Fabia Estate
- The days of Skoda jokes are long gone. If you need an estate, this is one of the cheapest, most efficient on the market.
- It may have a top speed of just 50mph and a driving range of 48 miles, but the G-Wiz electric car will reduce your fuel costs to almost zero. It is classified by the ABI as being in the group one car insurance bracket.
For more information on car insurance, visit the Guide to Car Insurance section on our website for tips and advice on getting the best value from your insurer.
If you're looking for cheaper car insurance, see just how much money you could save with Churchill, get an online quote today.